Christmas time in Australia vs. Germany


Well, there are quite some things that are different around Christmas time compared to what I'm used to in Germany.

First of all its on average 25ºC warm. At tops, we had 38ºC in the last days and of course summer will get even hotter. I'm glad we're 'only' expecting 30°C for Christmas. Meanwhile, my friends and family in Germany are complaining about the cold weather. It's freezing and sometimes snowing while temperatures are below 0ºC. But there will probably be no snow at all at Christmas day in Hamburg, like pretty much always in the past years. When I was still a kid we used to have white Christmases more often. I really loved to put my warmest clothes on and build a snowman or take my sleigh to have fun in the snow.
That's why I somehow didn't expect to see Christmas trees in Australia because I always associate Christmas trees with the cold time of the year. Of course, Christmas trees are part of Christmas festivities in Australia as well.

Another thing I realized is that there are no real Christmas markets. I saw some stalls, a little promenade at Docklands in Melbourne but that's it. That's pretty cute compared to Germany. We take our Christmas markets, Schmalzgebäck (a very sweet type of pastry) and Glühwein (also very sweet, mulled wine) very seriously.


Even the streets are just merely decorated compared to Germany. All I saw were some banners, some decorated shops and street lights. Even shopping centers aren't overly decorated. Only some exceptions. In Germany, it's like every tree and they can find is decorated. Really every shop, office, branch bank has excessive decoration. Suddenly, the city is twice as bright with light at night.

In addition to that, I'll be celebrating Christmas mainly on the 25th of December.  While my family and friends back in Germany will be celebrating Christmas on the 24th of December on Christmas Eve.

Christmas in Melbourne

Another thing that's going to be different is the food. While my family keeps Christmas dinner more low key with traditional homemade potato salad with sausages. Some of my friends do the same while some have a big dinner. It really depends on the family's tradition. Australians celebrate Christmas with a very big meal. We'll have seafood, different kinds of meat, lots of vegetables and dessert. So there will be something for everyone.

Anyway, I'm super excited to celebrate Christmas with a big and lovely Australian family. I hope you have a great time with your loved ones. Where in the world are you celebrating Christmas?

Pin this article for later!


Source: Cover Image

0 comments

If you comment on my blog, the form data you enter (and under circumstances other personal data, as for example your IP address) is transmitted to Google servers. Additionally, you can find more information in my Privacy Policy and in the Privacy Policy of Google.