Beamed to Scotland

I've been beamed to Scotland for a day.
At the beginning of the year I went with the local family I stayed with to a Highland Gathering. They are so much in love with Scotland and we're super excited. I was surprised because I would have never expected a Highland Gathering in Australia. Anyway, I was interested to see what it's like.

So we went to Maryborough in Victoria. Every year lots and lots of Scottish people come here to hold a Highland Gathering.  It's including traditional elements such as barrel toss, Scottish dancing and running. Whereas the running isn't as traditional as I thought. When we arrived the first street parade was just starting. The Scottish people were wearing their traditional clothes and playing traditional music. Each clan marched down the street in their own group and played their own song. I think Scottish music is very cheerful and enjoyable. I felt like I was in Scotland for a day. Even though I was in the middle of Victoria. It felt like another world.


A post shared by ѕαɴdrα (@sandraredhead) on

Later on, we went to the big oval to have a look at the stalls where you could buy food, souvenirs or learn Scottish dancing. In the oval were running competitions going on all day. Sadly, it was just normal runners. They weren't dressed traditional at all. But on the side, there were some strong men having a weight throw competition. They were wearing kilts and throwing a big weight up in the air. The goal was to throw the weight the highest possible with only one hand. The weight has to be thrown over a bar at increasing heights over the thrower. It was really nerve-wracking to watch. The whole audience was thrilled. Everyone got really calm when it got exciting. You could feel the tension in the air. And when the thrower reached the height, the applause and cheering were massive.

A post shared by ѕαɴdrα (@sandraredhead) on

I've learned that the state Victoria has a very big Scottish society.  In the 19th century, many Scots came to Australia and settled the beautiful south east of Australia. That's why many different Scotland related events take place all year round especially in Victoria.

I absolutely love to explore different cultures and didn't expect to take part in a Scottish Highland gathering in Australia. But I really enjoyed being in another world for just a day. I think it's amazing how the Scots keep up their traditions and celebration. Even though I'm sure the gatherings here are a bit different and not as big as in Scotland. I was surprised how much work and attention to detail the people put in their uniforms and the whole show.

What I really enjoyed is the music. The traditional Scottish music simply gives you a good feeling and is very cheerful. And of course the traditional dancing cheers you up even more. It makes you wanna dance along. ;)

Have you ever visited Scotland or got in touch with Scottish tradition otherwise? It's definitely on my travel bucket list.

Pin this image for later!

Source: Cover Image

0 comments

If you comment on my blog, the form data you enter (and under circumstances other personal data, as for example your IP address) is transmitted to Google servers. Additionally, you can find more information in my Privacy Policy and in the Privacy Policy of Google.